Thursday, June 23, 2011

Peaks and Valleys

I should have written last week during the peaks. Instead, I enjoyed myself and did a lot of smiling and laughing instead of writing. Our two youngest grandsons (now 17 & 19) took their first road trip without mom or pop. And they chose to drive to see gram and gramp! We had such fun. We are sooo good at spoiling them and have had a lot of years to perfect the practice. I spend most of my time either at the market or cooking now; they arrive with lists of their favorite gramma foods. Our eldest grandson, who lives in his "apartment" came to join us each evening for dinner and company. One evening we five sat in our dining room, polishing off steaks, buffalo burgers, cheesy potatoes and salad. I looked around the table and had a sense of the years flying by. We talked, we told stories, we laughed and after two hours we finally left our chairs and waddled to the family room. It was a very, very good week.

This week has been the valley. Younger son was taken to the hospital Monday night after over a year of relatively good health. He's now home and doing okay, but our sense of balance has certainly taken a hit. Add into that a good friend spending two weeks in the hospital, a cousin out of state and two friends dealing with cancer and chemo, and the valley gets deeper. I am resilient but it's sure hard.

I do recognize the good as well as the bad and I'm not minimizing the blessings. I'm just sad and tired. Any thoughts from my blogger friends? They would be appreciated...Jan

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you had such a good time with the grandkids. Those precious moments will be treasured by all of you for a long time to come.

    It's hard to face the valley after the high of the mountain. But we wouldn't have any mountains without valleys. Just rest in the knowledge that God has all things in His control and this is just a temporary setback. Things will get better. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete