Sunday, July 10, 2011

Birthday Boy

You know how when you are a mother, each child becomes your "favorite" in special ways? Why should I be surprised that I have the exact same feelings for my grandchildren? They are extra special from the day of birth and (so far) continue to grow more special.

Today is middle grandson's 19th birthday. Eldest grandson was born in South America, so Gramma missed #1. I was blessed to be with my son and daughter-in-law when my granddaughter (now 21) was born. When middle grandson was born I flew to be there ASAP. He was born 3-4 weeks early, due to the pre-eclampsia of his mother. It was a very, very hard birth and he was not ready to meet us. He was the teeniest baby I had ever handled, at a little over 6 pounds. (That's not saying a lot though, since my two sons and my other grandbabies were 8+ pounds!) He snuggled his way straight into my heart and has stayed there ever since.

Some children are so loving and expressive, I've always said if they could find a way to crawl into your skin to stay close, they would. My granddaughter is that way. So is our birthday boy. Thankfully, they never outgrow your hugs and your kisses. At least not yet.

We won't be with him to celebrate this weekend but our hearts are sure there. He's our "favorite," after all. Jan

1 comment: