Monday, May 16, 2011

The Missing Link

I don't know if any of you have perceived the "missing" link of our family? I mentioned our granddaughter in one early post and have not updated since.

She had her 21st birthday last Saturday and it has now been eleven months since she disappeared from our lives. This is hard to write, hard to think about but someday we hope she can come back to us. A year ago we were celebrating her birthday in grand style. She thoughtfully prepared her list for us and we loved being able to share her plans and her excitement. If there is one thing that she loves, it is having attention lavished on her and we are all good at that.

To backtrack to her arrival at our home with her brother and father, at age 20 she had never been given the opportunity to mature as most young girls do. Her mother bathed her, washed her hair, selected all her clothing and basically treated her as if she were 5, not 20. I (very slowly) gave her the opportunity to choose how she wanted to live her life. I showed her how to turn on the shower, gave her a towel and left the room. She was so proud to do it by herself. The same with washing her hair. For the first month I took her to a salon so I could watch how they managed her wiry, curly, long, beautiful black hair. Then I did it in our home for a month or so and asked if she would like to learn to do it herself. And away she went! She experienced shopping and choosing her clothing and loved it. I was beginning to teach her to cook.

Then one day her mother arrived with a private detective and kidnapped her. I guess you can kidnap your own child? Our granddaughter was taken from school--not willing to go but nonetheless has now been hidden by her mother for nearly a year. She has had her cell phone taken away, probably thrown away. Any mail we have sent has not reached her. We have not been able to talk with her or see her.

We miss her every day and wonder how she is. I hope and pray she is well. I don't think she is happy but someday, some way, I hope that by her 22nd birthday, we will know. Sadly, Jan

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jan, I am so sorry to hear this. What a terrible thing to happen. I guess you have done everything that you legally can. I will pray with you that she returns safely to your care.

    ReplyDelete