Monday, April 18, 2011

The Old Is New Again

It is a joy to return to our "old" life. The life hubby and I had a couple of years ago, before the arrival of the extended family. It's like putting on that old pair of slippers, the well worn ones that have grooves inside that just fit your foot. Wonderful and easy.

The changes of the past couple of weeks seem to have fit everyone that way. Elder son is in Texas and finding teaching and university life comfortable...and exciting...and enervating in ways he has missed. Grandson is totally happy and yes, comfortable in his new "apartment."

It has not been without some withdrawal anxiety of our son. He and our grandson established a pattern of communicating with text and phone while they were together in Texas. After a couple of days in his new home (ok, apartment) our grandson broke off. No texts, no calls, no picking up when his dad called. That created a LOT of anxiety in spite of talking with the couple who operate the home our grandson moved into. There's no substituting for a pair of eyes seeing and believing, is there?

So Saturday afternoon I drove over, visited our grandson. When I walked in the door, he had a huge smile and hug and "Hi Gramma!" Then we went out for a quick dinner and also to a market to buy a few things he wanted. When we drove back to his new home, he unpacked his grocery items in the kitchen and went to his room. I visited with the couple running the home for a few minutes and walked into my grandson's room to say goodbye. He looked up and smiled, and said "Goodbye Gramma!" with hardly a skipped beat. He seemed so very content and I hoped my words would create the same feelings for our son.

It was with joy I sat in our church yesterday, reflecting on the day. It was my mother's birthday, she would have been 97. It was Palm Sunday, the day of joy and tears as Jesus rode into Jerusalem. It will be our grandson's 23rd birthday this week, his father's birthday next week. We seem to have moved into a new time of life, but really it's the old one again. I am filled with thankfulness and feel hubby and I have, for now, have some Golden Days, if not Golden Years. And I still hope for Golden Years! How about your time of life? What are your changes, challenges, hopes and struggles? I'd be honored if you can share them with me. Jan

1 comment:

  1. Those old slippers do feel comfortable, don't they. Hope things continue to be as comfortable as they are now. My big change was getting married for the first time at age 52. That takes a LOT of getting used to. And four years later it still does. But it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete